28 things I've learned
Today is my last day as a 28-year-old. It has certainly been a year of many blessings, much excitement and a whole lot of lessons. It's been a year of revival. Remembering. Teaching. Learning. Most especially a time of taking better care of myself. I'm reminded of these words of Rumi as I reflect on this past year:
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
With inspiration from a mentor of mine and her own pre-bday reflections, I've compiled a list of 28 things I've learned in 28 years and 364 days. I am so grateful for this life and excited for what this next trip around the sun has in store.
28 things I've learned
- Self-care is non-negotiable. The more I practice it, the better I am for it.
- We can learn a lot from mother nature - her seasons, cycles, and her fruits if we're bold enough to slow down and listen.
- Plant medicine (essential oils, herbal teas, eating veggies, etc) is always the best first line of defense against illness or dis-ease. Often it cures all.
- If I don't sleep well I am a total zombie-moster. Prioritizing sleep and the transition to sleep is absolutely essential.
- You pick up the energy of the people you are constantly around. Choose these people wisely.
- Matcha tea may just be the most delicious morning ritual in the world.
- As much as I love coffee, it doesn't love me back and it's high time I just accept that.
- Yoga is a busy person's dream. A chance to exercise body, mind, and spirit.
- I hate running, it's just not my thing. In order to make something sustainable you've gotta just love it.
- When you meditate, don't look at your meditation practice, look at your life to catch any improvements.
- There is much more love on this planet than fear we just have to keep looking for it, sharing it, and remembering it.
- Be the one you are waiting for - in a friendship, a relationship, a business venture. It makes life so much more thrilling and people will wonder where you got all that moxie.
- Buying myself flowers (especially roses) is a surefire way to make a happy week. (P.S. Using a little sugar and apple cider vinegar in the water will help the flowers last longer.)
- Manifestation is for real. Believe.
- The more I try to hold tightly onto money, the less of it flows in and the more neurotic I become. Money is energy and it comes from the universe.
- If you can laugh during a fight, your love will last.
- The reward I get from working with my clients and helping them rediscover how beautiful and amazing they are is unparalleled
- Though there is possibility for real, pure inspiration on social media it needs to be handled delicately. It can be a black hole of distraction or jealousy or it can be a source of connection and support. Choose wisely.
- Multitasking isn't a thing. Seriously, it isn't.
- My CSA (community supported agriculture) is the best investment I've ever made. To get fresh veggies and fruits delivered weekly is quite possibly the easiest way to eat well, cook often, and align yourself with the seasons.
- To listen, truly listen, I cannot be cleaning or packing, or just checking emails. I need to be still and focused. I owe that to those I love.
- Don't ignore the urge to create. Paint, write, dance. Let creativity literally move you.
- Podcasts are a great way to learn on the go. Some of my favorites include: OnBeing, Be Here now, Tara Brach's, and Sharon Salzberg's Metta Hour.
- Reminding myself of my values keeps me on course during stressful times.
- Using the mental switch of - it's not what I have to do but what I get to do is a true game-changer.
- Have an open mind about people and things you may have decided something about in the past. People and things can change. You can change too.
- You will never ever regret spending too much time with the people you love.
- Life is a precious gift. Remind yourself of that early and often.
photography by souqfly.com