8 Ways to Strengthen Your Intuition
Intuition is beyond all rational explanation. For some it is a gut or heart feeling. For others a crystal clear thought or image that pops up seemingly out of nowhere. The thing about intuition is, whether we resist or deny it - we ALL have a connection to it.
Yes, even you. You have an inner knowing. An inner guidance system that is perfect and designed to keep you on track. But sometimes we get turned around, or forget about this inner GPS or can't quite distinguish the voice of inner wisdom from the ego's voice of fear and concern.
To better facilitate a stronger connection to this superpower, I've shared 8 ways to connect to your intuition below. I hope it is helpful!
- Find time for quiet. Rumi once said: "the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear." Explore what this can mean for you.
- Get creative in the kitchen. One of the ways I connect best to my intuition is through cooking. Sometimes we work great together and make beautiful music, sometimes a cacophony of flavors that taste like crap. Either way, it's a fun experiment and practice!
- Try wandering. Obviously I'm a fan of this, but I truly believe there is something in us that KNOWS where we need to go and what we need to do. To rest the overactive and hyper-vigilant mind, a wandering walk can be extremely valuable. Set an alarm for a certain amount of time (at least 20 minutes) and just go on a walk wherever you want. Try to make your movements and steps led by your intuition and maybe even imagination instead of your usual mental patterns of point A to point B.
- Use Mantras. Sometimes our minds are impossible to quiet. And that's OK. I love using certain mantras and listening to them as a way to cut through any chatter or negativity and provide some relaxation to our more peaceful and true layers. This is a current favorite for removing blocks of all kinds.
- Write to your intuition. This is a really interesting practice to cultivate over time. On a blank page write down a question you've been pondering or even a simple - "Intuition, is there anything I need to be aware of today?" Then put the pen down. Pause. Take 3 deep breaths. Pick your pen back up, and write whatever comes through. Don't worry if it feels like the same voice as the mind, just keep practicing and I promise, you'll get some incredible and powerful results.
- Watch this movie.
- Listen to your body. When you're making a decision, think about each choice. Does one choice feel expansive, more opening in the heartspace and more exciting and energizing? Does another feel heavy, closed, and like it pulls your energy down? The choices that make us open, energized and expansive are the ones our body-mind wants us to take. Are we brave enough to listen?
- Watch for the "pings": I LOVE this one as it's been something I've reconnected to recently. I bet you've experienced those little moments of thinking about someone and then a second later they're calling you on your cell phone, right? A perfect intuitive ping! Keep a watchful eye out for these and write them down. You'll prove to yourself just how intuitive you are.