Alright people, so I know I know overnight oats have been a thing for a while, but I just recently discovered them. And they are AWESOME. So easy, and so refreshing in the summer when you don't want hot oatmeal but still crave something super filling, delicious and healthy.
It's also hard to believe after YEARS of work traveling, I only now, when I'm a full time wellness warrior, learn about this recipe. These would be perfect for road trips, train trips, even plane trips. They should (as long as they're not super liquidy) get you past TSA.
I think the thing I love most about these oats though, despite the awesome texture, is just how EASY they are and how much room they allow for creativity. You can honestly put any combination of items in an old ball or mason jar, douse it in almond milk and leave it in the fridge overnight - come 7:00 you're good to go! I find it's hard to be exact with these guys so I've given you some estimates on my favorite combination as of late - feel free to experiment. Be creative!
The below is for 1 serving in 1 mason jar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats or quick cook steel cut oats if you prefer a chewier texture (I do and use Trader Joe's 8 minute quick cook steel cut ones)
- about 1 TBSP chia seeds
- about 1 TBSP hemp seeds (or flax)
- about 1 TBSP of almond butter
- a little less than 1/3 cup chopped fruit of your choice. I used frozen blueberries!
- 1 TBSP chopped nuts of your choice - I used walnuts
- sprinkle of any other things you have on hand - crazy powders like maca or camu or greens powders if you're into that!
- about 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- at least 1 cup of almond milk (or any other nut or coconut milk)
- Layer oats, seeds, almond butter, chopped fruit and nuts, and anything else you'd like to add in your mason jar - make sure you still have about an inch from the top of the jar
- Pour milk over the ingredients so that they are covered about 1/2 inch over top most layer
- drizzle maple syrup on top.
- Give it a light stir to ensure every part of your oats will be soaking. Store in fridge overnight and enjoy the next AM!