I love it when things that taste good are actually super good for us too and I think beets are the PERFECT example of that little fact. They're super bright, sweet, and great roasted, juiced, and just about everything in between. So why are these root veggies so darn good? Read on for a few (awesome) reasons:
- It's been suggested that beets can help lower your blood pressure. One study found that drinking one glass of beet juice could lower your systolic blood pressure by an avg of 4-5 points!
- Beets fight inflammation. We all know inflammation can wreak havoc on the body, and we've heard certain foods are great for it - but now we can add beets to that list too! Beets have a nutrient called "betaine" that can fight inflammation, protect cells, enzymes, and even proteins from stress in their environment.
- Beets can help ward off cancer - that gorgeous beet red color doesn't come outta nowhere folks! The dark, beautiful phytonutrients that lend themselves to that perfect purple-y red shade may also help fend off cancer. Research has even shown that an extract of beetroot helped to reduce tumor formations in animals in certain studies and more are being conducted to learn about it's effects on certain types of cancers in humans.
- Beets are full of fiber + other important nutrients. Choc full of the immune-saving vitamin C, minerals like potassium (essential for healthy muscles and nerves), manganese (important for healthy liver, kidney, and pancreas functioning as well as healthy bones!), folate (a B vitamin) and fiber, you are getting a LOT of nutritional bang for your buck with these veggies.
- Beets help you detox - the "betalin" pigments in beets can support your body's detoxification systems and help to better excrete toxins from the system, including aiding in the purification of blood and liver. Yes please!
And finally, make sure you don't discard those beautiful beet greens. They too can be juiced and contain a wide array of nutrients and minerals - in fact, even more iron than spinach. Who knew?
Juice Recipe for 2 servings:
- 1 large or 2 medium beets
- 1/2 of an apple
- 2 carrots
- 1 chunk of ginger (if you like things spicy!
- Wash and chop all ingredients. Juice + serve immediately.
P.S. don't worry if you experience some brighter colors when in the restroom. Totally normal!