Almond Flour Cake Deliciousness
This gorgeous recipe is adapted from the incredible cookie & kate blog. It's a real winner and a healthy, easy crowd-pleaser when you're heading to someone's dinner party or celebrating a bday and want something homemade and a little less processed.
I encourage you to get creative with the topping as I did. Originally the recipe called for a strawberry rhubarb compote (amazing, yes), but I didn't have either of those and instead had an abundance of peaches and blueberries. Use what you got and get creative. You (and your roommates, partner, friends) will all love you for it.
For the cake:
- 2 cups of almond flour or almond meal. If you have raw almonds, just pulse in a food processor to a fine powder and you're good to go!
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon (preferably organic!)
For the topping:
- 2 cups of chopped fruit of any kind! I used peaches and blueberries but truly anything would work. Raspberries and apples. Even frozen fruits would work!
- Drizzle of olive oil + maple syrup or honey
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a round 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond meal, baking powder + soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- In another, smaller bowl, combine the eggs, honey (or maple syrup), olive oil, and lemon zest. Mix well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir gently to ensure all ingredients have combined (but aren't over-beaten).
- Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown.
- As soon as you put the cake in the oven, add the chopped fruit, maple syrup (or honey) and olive oil to a large pan. Squeeze the juice of the lemon onto the pan and bring all contents to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer, stirring every so often until the cake is ready. Top cake and serve or cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.