Eggplant + Tomato Deliciousness
Now I am well aware that in D.C., the leaves are turning, autumn is here, and that crisp, pure air means goodbye summer produce. That said, my CSA still has a few last lingering tomatoes and perhaps yours does too.
In seeking a new way to use said tomatoes, I stumbled upon a delicious recipe from Chloe Coscarelli - author of a few wonderful veg cookbooks - and new chef/owner of a trendy vegetarian restaurant in NYC.
What I love about this recipe (and what I hope you will too) is just how dang SIMPLE it is. It requires very few ingredients. It requires very little attention. And it tastes so freaking superb. MMh! I may have to go and make it again when I'm done typing out this recipe. Goes great over rice/quinoa/toast/or just on its own.
makes about 4-5 side-dish servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and thickly chopped
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (or more if you're obsessed like me) of fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and add garlic cloves. Let cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add eggplant + tomato and cook for about 15 minutes or until browned. (tip - if eggplant is sticking to the bottom of the pan, add a teeny bit of water - only a tablespoon or so- to help unstick.
- Add salt and season with pepper and cook about 5 more minutes until flavors are combined and veggies are very tender.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!