the best sweet potato fries ever
Sweet sweet sweet sweet potatoes. Oh me oh my, we've had a love affair for many years. I feel like I continue to learn new, health-promoting things about them every day. They're a great source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and vitamin A. Plus, amidst all this wonderful uplifting spring energy, it can be good to also ground the body with grounding root vegetables like these orange gems.
These fries are, in my book, absolutely delicious. I love the way the smokey paprika highlights the savoriness of this dish and the cumin gives it depth and a middle-eastern vibe. I also, was the beneficent of a delllicious sample of True Made Foods ketchup - which is a far healthier version of the Heinz favorite that uses a lot less sugar and actually uses veggies in the red stuff. It was totally delicious with these fries, and I highly recommend it for a ketchup alternative.
Ok, now onto the recipe portion of this program. This recipe can easily be halved or doubled if necessary and makes about 4 servings.
- 3 sweet potatoes cut into fry-like-strips (about 5 cups)
- 3 TBPS of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- sea salt + pepper
- chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes and all ingredients adding sea salt and pepper as desired
- Arrange on a baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes or until edges of fries are golden brown but not burned. I also find it helpful to check after about 8 minutes and gently stir the fries so they reposition without burning.