Unbelievable Umi: My Favorite New Dressing
Umi plum vinegar. A miraculous substance the macrobiotic eaters have known about and celebrated for years. Made from the juice of pickled umeboshi plums, this is touted as a great cure for hangovers. It's also an incredible example of what that 'umami' flavor tastes like - a little sour, a little pungent, but with a lovely round and balanced intensity. Or something like that.
This stuff is delicious on SO many things. Today I'm sharing my favorite dressing for salads and greens like kale, chard, etc. But the sky is the limit with this vinegar. You can procure it right here and enjoy it on scrambled eggs, brown rice, in soups and stocks, as a marinade for meat...the list goes onnnn and onn. A new favorite thing is putting it on an avocado too for a little healthy-fat-meets-umami-salt-snack. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Umi Plum Vinegar Dressing:
- A scant 1/4 cup umi plum vinegar
- 1/2 cup sesame oil (I like to used cold-pressed like this wonderful stuff)
- 3-5 cloves garlic chopped (or 1 TSP dried garlic)
- salt + pepper to taste (this is a salty dressing already as the vinegar is pretty darn salty, but sometimes a few more flakes do the trick)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- whisk all ingredients together and enjoy on many many items. Massage into kale or another hearty green and let it sit to marinate for 1-3 hrs for a really delicious representation of this special dressing