Sweet Potato Stir Fry
I have a special place in my heart for sweet potatoes. I love their color, their taste, the way they take on so many different flavors beautifully. And while they can slow roast whole in the oven, or steam quickly on the stove, lately I've been into stir-frying my little sweets in something that may surprise you: duck fat.
Duck fat? Yes, duck fat. Why? First of all it's not messed with. So many of our oils today (vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil, etc). are so processed that they are actually detrimental to our health and can cause a great deal of inflammation in the body. More traditional fats like duck fat, grass-fed ghee, even grass-fed butter, are un-fussed with chemically. Also fats like duck fat have been honored in French cooking for centuries and is actually high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
Intuitive Cooking: Stir-Fried Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into small 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small onion (or 2 shallots), thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP duck fat
- sea salt
- optional intuitive spices: dash of turmeric, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander
- Saute the onion and garlic cloves and spices of choice in 1 TBSP of duck fat in a skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, the rest of the duck fat and a splash of water. Mix well, cover and cook until potatoes are soft (about an additional 5-7 minutes).
- Adjust seasonings as necessary with a bit more salt or spice and enjoy!